If you want to open a car dealership in New York, you will need to obtain a dealer’s license from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Here is a step-by-step guide to getting a dealer’s license in New York:
- Determine the type of license you need: There are several different types of dealer’s licenses in New York, including new car dealer, used car dealer, wholesale dealer, and motorcycle dealer. You will need to apply for the type of license that corresponds to the type of vehicles you want to sell.
- Meet the requirements: To be eligible for a dealer’s license in New York, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Have a fixed place of business that is open to the public during normal business hours
- Have a sign visible from the street displaying the dealership’s name
- Have liability insurance coverage of at least $50,000 per occurrence
- Complete the application process: To apply for a dealer’s license in New York, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Fill out the appropriate application form, which can be obtained from the DMV website or a local DMV office
- Submit the application form along with the required documents, such as proof of insurance and a certificate of zoning compliance
- Pay the applicable fees, which vary depending on the type of license you are applying for
- Attend a dealer education seminar: Before you can receive your dealer’s license, you must attend a dealer education seminar. These seminars are held by the DMV and are designed to educate dealers on the laws and regulations that apply to the automotive industry in New York.
- Obtain a surety bond: In addition to obtaining a dealer’s license, you will also need to obtain a surety bond. A surety bond is a type of insurance that protects consumers in the event that you fail to meet your obligations as a dealer, such as failing to deliver a vehicle or providing false information about a vehicle’s condition. The amount of the bond will depend on the type of license you have and the number of vehicles you sell in a year. It can be upwards of $5,000 per year!
Overall, getting a dealer’s license in New York requires fulfilling a number of requirements and completing a number of steps. By following this process and complying with all applicable laws and regulations, you can obtain the necessary license to open and operate a successful car dealership in the state.
Would you prefer an easier way? By choosing FastAuctionAccess.com, you can be partnered with a Licensed online vehicle dealer who can buy and sell an UNLIMITED number of cars in almost any US State (including New York)! Want to learn more? Click here!